Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Perks of Doing the DCP

Before I started my DCP, I was always curious about the perks that are involved with working for the mouse. Welcome to this exclusive tell-all, and get excited to experience these awesome rewards once you start your program!

Main Gate & Guest Passes

Last August, I visited WDW using my friend's guest pass.
After starting your program, you will  receive what is called a "main gate." This is your ticket into the parks, an unlimited amount of times, for the duration of your program. Additionally, you will receive guest passes - six total (unless this number has changed in the past two years). Each of the six passes permits up to three people access to any park for the day. You are free to use each pass as you wish, whether you want to let the same three people into the parks for six days, or you want to let three different people into the park for six days. However, if you use your guest pass for the day on less than three people, that pass will still expire at the end of the day; you can't save it for later. Also, you do not have to use these six day-long passes at the same time. Feel free to space them out throughout your program!

Discounts

As a cast member, you can enjoy discounts on merchandise, food (only full-service, I believe), Disney cruises, hotels, and more! Additionally, the percentage discount changes depending on the season. For example, I received something like a 20-30% discount on merchandise at the start of my fall program, which started in August. When November rolled around, that discount went up to 40%. For more information about these discounts, visit the Hub (which you will gain access to after starting your program). Also, you will receive a little booklet of coupons sometime during your program. You can redeem these for discounts on FSFB restaurants, or things like free popcorn in the parks. But be aware, these coupons have blackout dates, so read the fine print!

Housing Events

As a CP, you are able to attend housing events, which occur throughout your program. At these events, expect character appearances, games, and free food! I think I only went to two housing events during my program, which I totally regret. However, my work schedule conflicted with many of the events, so there was nothing I could do about that.

The end-of-program formal dance.

Lights On

Don't be surprised if you get an email informing you about a special opportunity provided to just cast members - being able to ride the attractions after park hours, with the lights on! I believe they do this to make sure that the rides are running smoothly, and I wish I had done this! Many of my friends were able to ride Space Mountain and Rock 'n Roller Coaster with the lights on, which they say was amazing.

The Beaches

St. Petersburg Beach
This is not necessarily a perk of working for Disney - it's more so a perk of living in Florida (or California, if you do the Disneyland program). Orlando is right in the middle of Florida, which means you have a beach about an hour away if you go either east or west. To the west, I recommend Clearwater (or more specifically, St Petersburg, which is where I went). I went on Christmas day, and it was glorious. The water was warm, and the sun was out. To the east, I only visited Cocoa Beach. It is very quiet, and there are not a whole lot of places to go to other than the pier. However, it was a nice peaceful getaway from the hustle and bustle of Disney.

In my opinion, the perks of doing the DCP are completely worth taking a semester off school. If I come up with any more perks, I will be sure to do a second part to this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment